These pictures excite you too, right?
Balayage hair made an appearance on the red carpet and has gained international popularity since then. These perfect hand painted highlights make your hair look effortlessly cool and leaves everybody in astonishment.
But, to achieve this look your hair has to undergo a series of chemicals and treatment which leaves them prone to hair fall and breakage.
You want to give this look a try but are scared of the hair trouble?
Then this article is for you!
Below are listed the Top 7 Best Shampoos for Balayage Hair
BUT WAIT, LET’S FIRST KNOW A LITTLE ABOUT BALAYAGE
Balayage comes from a French word “balayer” that means ‘to brush’ or ‘to sweep’. Everyone who wishes for natural and softly highlighted hair goes with this technique. The hair stylist dyes your hair with a brush in such a manner that you get a beautiful contrast without the streaky look.
You achieve a dye with a soft look at the roots and lighter shades on your ends.
TYPES OF BALAYAGE
- Full Balayage is when you go for highlights on your entire head
- Partial Balayage means to get only a certain area highlights e.g. bangs
- Subtle Balayage involves highlighting those areas where the color would fade out naturally
- American Balayage is specially designed for dark haired ladies. It is a mix of wrapping half your highlights in foil and leaving the rest in the open air
- Reverse Balayage is for blondes and gives contrasting colors
- Babylights (micro-highlight) are very thin, fine highlights
- Foilayage is not same as the foil- technique highlighting. It gives a more blended and natural look
Similar to all other hair dyeing techniques Balayage is also a chemical treatment. According to some celebrity colorist, it is a much more damaging process as you have to use a stronger bleaching agent like hydrogen peroxide to lighten the hair strands that are to be highlighted.
Balayage is more of a free-hand painting technique with rounds of bleach, color, toner or gloss that takes somewhat between 3-5 hours of constant chemical application. You might require frequent toner touchups or your color may start fading out leaving you with a brassy tone.
Though Balayage is considered to be less damaging, but the effects vary. Some women notice a rough, dry texture in their hair with increased hair fall. There scalp may react to the bleach and experience excessive sebum causing oily hair. If not done by a professional you might also end up with burned hair.
HOW BAD IS SULFATE FOR BALAYAGE HAIR?
Sulfate-Free shampoos made it to the market since experts started talking about how Sulfate and Paraben are solely responsible for color fading. We cannot consider this statement to be completely true, but yes sulfate does cause a little bit of damage to your freshly colored hair.
It may strip off the moisture from your hair and fade out the color quickly. They are known for damaging hair protein that might completely change the texture of your hair and how do they look. Moreover, your hair is liable to split ends, breakage and dryness. Sulfates are more responsible for damaging your hair all over rather than only fading the color.
THE REAL CULPRIT OF COLOR FADING
If not sulfate than what is it that causes you to lose your perfect Balayage?
Well, the real culprits are styling and hair washing techniques. The protective layer of your hair is damaged under the effect of bleach and now exposing it to heat for daily hair styling leads to gaps and crack in the layers of your hair strand.
CHOOSE THE CORRECT SHAMPOO
Washing it frequently with random shampoo allows the cracks to sustain and the color to sweep away easily. If you do not use specific shampoos for colored hair you might end up losing your color as the cleansing properties of a normal shampoo wash the color pigment along with dirt and oil.
PURPLE SHAMPOO VS SILVER SHAMPOO
This one thing confuses all the blondes and Balayage hair people out there, but technically there is no difference between the two. They are interchangeable, the purple color actually refers to the color of the shampoo while silver is in the reflection it gives.
Purple/ Silver shampoos are specifically designed to remove the yellow tinge in your silver or blonde highlighted hair. Purple is the color that neutralizes the yellow, giving you more shinny and bright looking hair. They condition your hair and repair the roots to give more vibrancy to your dye and make it long lasting.
HOW ARE SHAMPOOS TESTED?
In the labs a series of shampoos that claim to be the best for Balayage hair undergo strict tests and evaluations. There are repeatedly tested for fading-resistance, exposure to UV lights, effect on hair texture and growth. Shampoos along with their conditioners are narrowed down and distributed to the consumers for further testing. Reviews are collected and experts are asked for advice.
OUR TOP 7 PICKS OF BEST SHAMPOOS FOR BALAYAGE HAIR
|FOR ULTRA GENTLE CLEANSING|
|FOR ANTI- AGING EFFECTS|
|FOR NEUTRALIZING COLOR|
|FOR MAINTAINING COLOR|
|FOR TONING TREATMENT|
|FOR COLOR CARE|
|FOR GLOSS PROTECTION|
#1 FOR ULTRA GENTLE CLEANSING
Oribe shampoo has been awarded three times by Instyle in 2015, 2016 and 2017 as the “best shampoo for color treated hair”. It is a dermatologist recommended shampoo suitable for all hair types.
- Watermelon Extract contains essential vitamins and amino acids while promote healthy hair growth with moisturized hair.
- Lychee Extract has high values of Vitamin B and C that gives lustrous shine and protection against UV lights.
- Edelweiss Flower Extract protects against dryness and damage from chemicals.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate is responsible for the ultra cleansing of your scalp to remove all the dirt and oil.
#2 FOR ANTI- AGING EFFECTS
Featured with dual capture complex the shampoo promises more than 70 days of your color and prevents any aging effects. It can be used on various hair types.
- Aqua (soft water) allows cleansing your scalp without causing accumulation of unwanted minerals.
- Silicon Ferment builds up a protective covering over your hair and prevents color fading.
- Citric Acid helps coping up with dryness and dandruff on your scalp.
- Soy Bean Oil locks in the moisture of your hair and allows the color to penetrate in your hair.
- Cross polymer is the main anti-aging element that prevents any wrinkle or breakage.
#3 FOR NEUTRALIZING COLOR
This purple shampoo for Balayage hair is prepared with Multi-Spectrum Defense Complex and Bio-Advanced Peptide Complex to reconstruct and protect your chemically treated hair.
- Camella Sinensis Leaf Extract (green tea extract) maintains the hormonal balance and stimulates hair growth.
- Panthenol penetrates deep into the roots and give a voluminous look.
- Butylene Glycol gives your hair the shine
#4 FOR MAINTAINING COLOR
The protein rich formula of this shampoo does not only neutralizes your hair color, but also refreshes the fading out highlights, giving a more vibrant look to your hair. It is specially formulated for women with ash toned hair.
- Glycol Distearate conditions your scalp giving your hair the volume they need.
- Citric acid removes the dryness and fights against dandruff to promote healthy hair growth.
- Hydrolyzed vegetable protein provides the lost proteins to your hair while strengthening them at their roots.
- Violet 2 helps toning down with yellow shades in your blonde highlights.
#5 FOR TONING TREATMENT
This shampoo for colored hair contains the toning violet pigment you all need to neutralize the brassy tones immediately. You will achieve bright, vibrant hair after just one wash.
- Salicylic Acid prevents the production of excessive sebum thus you are free from a dry flaky scalp.
- Acid Violet 43 is safe to be used in shampoos and is typically found in hair dyes for the toning treatment your hair need.
- Glycerin is a natural element that locks in the moisture of your hair, making the color more vibrant.
#6 FOR COLOR CARE
This color depositing purple shampoo helps in correcting the yellow and brass shades on your Balayage hair. It gives a luxurious look to your cool blonde hair.
- Coco-Betaine helps in moisturizing your hair.
- Cocamide MIPA is an extract of coconut oil. It helps emulsify and stabilize the pH of your scalp.
#7 FOR GLOSS PROTECTION
Balayage hair is mainly a blend of blonde and brunette and to maintain that you need a shampoo like this one. It is perfect for gray and white hair to give them a lustrous shine.
- Amino Acid helps in maintaining the texture of your hair while retaining purity.
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate cleanses your hair and purify from all dirt and oil.
- Glycol Distearate has anti-aging and color protecting properties
HOW TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR BALAYAGE HAIR?
Unlike other hair coloring techniques, Balayage does not require frequent touch-up and the gradual transition of the color allows it to last for a longer time. However, below are listed some of the tips and tricks to elongate its life
- Do not wash your hair for next 48-72 after getting Balayage
- Avoid frequent and rough washing of your hair
- Use best heat protecting serum while styling your hair
- Use Sulfur and Chloride Free shampoos for washing your hair
- Apply UV protection serum while going out in the sun
- Regular hair nourishment is required to prevent hair from drying out
- Purple/ Silver Shampoo helps in locking the color and neutralizing the brassy yellow tinge
- At-least wait for 10-12 weeks before touch-up
- Use a conditioner that is suitable to your hair and compatible with your shampoo regularly
- In case of excessive hair fall or any allergic reaction consult your hair stylish or a hair specialist
Choosing the perfect shampoo is the next most important step after getting Balayage done. These shampoos make your dye long lasting while maintaining the color vibrancy.
Purple shampoo for Balayage hair helps in neutralizing the yellow and brassy tinge you may get with passing time. It moisturizes your hair making it smooth and shiny.
Our personal recommendation would be “CAVIAR Anti-Aging Infinite Color Hold Shampoo” that not only locks in the color but also has anti- aging properties which gives you a fresh look and makes your hair look healthy. The shampoo further protects your hair from the harmful radiations of the sun.
One thing we are sure of is that you would not regret choosing a shampoo from our list to maintain your Balayage hair.